Saturday 20 March 2010

Lemon, Rosemary and Olive Oil Cake



Last thing at work yesterday afternoon, in an attempt to fend off impending sleep,  I checked out one of my favourite sites "The New York Times" Online.  I came across a lovely essay about someone who bakes in the wee small hours.  They tried to recreate a scrumptious cake they'd had in London.  It sounded delicious - a lemon, rosemary and olive oil cake.  It sounded so yummy that I immediately looked for a recipe and found this one.  I decided to make it as soon as I got home.

I adapted the recipe to gluten-free by using Doves Gluten Free Plain Flour.

To be perfectly honest my run of things turning out not quite right is still alive and well and living in Buckinghamshire.  I cooked it at a too high temperature.  It said 350 celcius and I thought that was 190 degrees centrigade when in fact it's 175 degrees centrigrade.  So the oven was slightly too hot.  Then I should have probably taken it out ten minutes before I did.  The upshot being it turned out slightly dry.  Boo bloody hoo!  We're eating it anyway, spread with butter - waste not, want not and all that jazz.


I looked after our neighbours chickens last week and she gave me these lovely flowers to say thanks.  My kitchen is looking very spring-like.


This week I've been catching up with "Lambing Live", who would have thought learning about sheep farming could be so compelling!   Our cottage overlooks fields of sheep and we just love this time of the year.  Anthony actually watched triplets being born on Thursday - he called me at work just to make me jealous!


These little cuties are in a neighbouring village.


We've got mommies fit to burst in the field this morning.  I keep on surveying them for signs of labour [I'm an expert now] but nothing yet :-(

No comments: