Saturday 17 April 2010

Italian Sausage Stew - my prize-winning recipe

Yesterday we made the sad decision to cancel our holiday to visit family in South Africa.  Thank you very much furious Mr Volcano living in Iceland. 

This morning I checked my e-mail and I found a reason to smile.  My Italian Sausage Stew recipe has won the prize for best stew recipe on FoodsForFriendsYeah!

I've won a Julie and Julia DVD and cookbook.  I've been dying to see this film and I can certainly do with Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Food For Friends Yeah is a well designed, friendly and informative foodie community started by two foodie-friends.

Thanks so much - you've made my day!!!

Here is my prize-winning recipe:

This great stew is quick and easy to make. You can get in the door, chuck it all in one pot in 30 minutes, sit down with a glass of wine and 30 minutes later be tucking into a flavour-packed, comforting, rib-sticking stew. To make this gluten free I use gluten free sausages and Doves plain gluten free flour.

Serves 6

2 packs of pork sausages cut into meatball size pieces

2 smoked gammon steaks [approx 400g], cut into smallish lardon size cubes [ I also use a pack of smoked bacon cut into small pieces if I can't find any organic gammon steaks - as I only eat "happy" pigs]

2 tbsp olive oil

2 medium or 1 very large onion diced

2 cloves of garlic minced or finely chopped

250ml dry red wine

500ml of beef stock

100g of tomato paste

200g of pitted calamata olives

3 large for 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks

3 large bay leaves

2 heaped tbsp of plain flour

salt and pepper to taste

Equipment:

Large heavy bottomed saucepan or stove top friendly casserole dish

Method:

Fry the onion and garlic in olive oil over a moderate heat until transparent. Add the carrot and stir fry for a few more minutes.


Turn up heat and add the sausages and gammon. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir fry until meat is sealed.


Sprinkle the flour over contents of pot and stir for 1 minute. Add the red wine, stir and let the alcohol evaporate. Add tomato paste and stir some more to coat.

Add the beef stock, olives and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then either turn the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes or if you’re using a casserole dish put into the oven at 160°C for 30 minutes.


Delicious served on mashed potato, polenta or brown rice along with some spring greens or broccoli on the side.

No comments: