Wednesday 3 August 2011

A jaunt around Berkhamstead

I had the day off yesterday and in the morning I went on a little jaunt around Berkhamstead.  I pretended to be a "lady wot lunch" and saunter around with all the other yummy mummys.  I looked with envy at those lucky ladies who sat al fresco outside Costa Coffee sipping a post-gym-workout skinny frappacino.

Berko, as it's known by locals, is a great place for looking in shops which sell stuff that no-one actually needs.

My favourite shop is


Home and Colonial do a lovely mixture of contemporary, vintage and antique. 


Upstairs is more contemporary, shabby chic style


Downstairs is like stepping back in time.  Think social history museum where everything is for sale.  A delight!




Another favourite of mine is Horsfall & Wright.  It's very "Brighton" and I love trawling around the shops in Brighton!




I apologise that some of the photos aren't the best but I' always aware that proprietors don't like people taking pictures of their displays.

I ended my jaunt with an actual purchase in my favourite Cancer Research Charity Shop.  I never fail to find great second-hand book buys in this particular shop.  I bought a great little paperback by Mary Berry [Queen of Cakes] called Fast Cakes for £2.00.  I'm itching to try out some of her recipes.

No comments: