Much has been made of the story that William and Kate are serving Fridge Cake at their wedding buffet.
I thought I'd share with you my favourite fridge cake [or tiffin] recipe, which people rave over.
Fridge Cake / Tiffin To Die For
250g/9oz dark chocolate, chopped
150g/5oz milk chocolate, chopped
4tbsp golden syrup
200g/7oz shortbread or digestive or rich tea biscuits [I used Gluten Free "Tru" biscuits]
150g/5oz brazil nuts, chopped into biggish chunks
150g Craisins [dried cranberries - these give a lovely tart flavour, whereas raisins are a lot sweeter]
3 x Crunchie chocolate bars, or honeycomb, bashed into medium size chunks
1 tbsp of icing sugar for decoration
edible glitter for decoration [optional]
- Place the dark & milk chocolate pieces into a heavy-based pan. Add the butter and golden syrup and cook over a very low heat to melt - stirring occasionally but don't overstir
- Place the biscuits in a freezer bag and bash with a rolling pin into rubble - don't make the bits too small though as you need a good contrast of textures in the finished product
- Place the Crunchie bars in a bag and bash with a rolling pin into rubble
- Using a sharp knife and cutting board cut the brazil nuts into small chunks - if find bashing them in a freezer bag makes them too small
- Take the pan off the stove and stir in the biscuits and nuts
- Add the craisins and finally the Crunchie rubble
- Stir until everything is coated with the syrupy chocolate mixture
- Pour the mixture into a 25cm/10in x 30cm/12in greased and lined baking tray and smooth the surface as much as possible, although it will look bumpy[I line mine with greaseproof paper so the pieces are easy to remove]
- Refrigerate for two hours, or until firm enough to cut
- Dust with icing sugar and sprinkle with edible glitter if using
- Remove the block of cake and cut into 24 rectangles.