Wednesday 5 October 2011

Mississippi Mud Pie


The first time I tasted Mississippi Mud Pie I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. I was 22 years old and on a trip to Kauai, Hawaii with the American family that I was au-pairing for. We went to this wonderful hotel one evening just to have dessert. If my memory serves me correctly I think I may have become so effusive over the beauty of the concoction that my lovely boss ordered me another slice.

I remember ordering it whenever I saw it on the menu during the duration of my U.S sojourn but it never quite lived up that “the first time”. I was recently looking for dessert inspiration online and happened upon a recipe for MMP – it brought the memories flooding back for me and I was gripped by the urge to make one.

Well I did and it was delicious. Who says retro-80’s food can’t make a comeback? It turns out that Pixie always used to order it back in the day and was delighted at the prospect of trying a homemade version.

The recipe I used below is from the BBC food site.   I adapted it to be gluten-free by using gluten-free Borboun Biscuits for the base. Easy as!

Ingredients

For the base

• 300g/10½oz bourbon biscuits, crushed

• 75g/2½oz butter, melted

For the filling

• 85g/3oz dark chocolate, minimum 70 per cent cocoa solids

• 85g/3oz butter

• 2 free-range eggs

• 85g/3oz muscovado sugar

• 100ml/3½oz double cream

For the fudge sauce

• 150g/5½oz dark chocolate, minimum 70 per cent cocoa solids

• 150ml/5½fl oz double cream, plus extra to serve

• 3 tbsp golden syrup

• 175g/6oz icing sugar, sieved

Preparation method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/365F/Gas 4.

2. Mix the biscuits and melted butter together in a bowl. Press the mixture into the base and sides of a 23cm/9in springfrom tin. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.

3. For the filling, melt the chocolate and butter together in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. (Do not let the base of the bowl touch the water).

4. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl for 5-6 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Fold in the cream and melted chocolate mixture. Pour into the chilled springform tin and bake in the oven for 40-50 minutes, or until just set. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely.

5. Meanwhile, for the fudge sauce, heat all of the fudge sauce ingredients in a saucepan, stirring regularly, over a medium heat until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.

6. Spread the sauce over the cooled pie and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes. Serve with double cream.

Cooks tips and observations:
  • The fudge topping didn't set very quickly - so I'd say it needs to be in the fridge for at least couple of hours - I left it to chill overnight
  • I used a large fork to make the swirly pattern
  • I covered the pie with foil for the entire baking period to prevent it from getting too brown on top
  • I took it out of the oven after 35 mins - as my oven is quick and it also continues to cook once it comes out
  • As you can see, I didn't push the biscuit mixture up the sides of the tin as I find it never comes out even
Make this and be prepared for chocolate heaven!


2 comments:

Michelle @ Greedy Gourmet said...

Americans really know how to make the most luscious and fattening desserts, don't they? Yours look sublime!

Lemon said...

Wow, this cake looks gorgeous; I would like to taste immediately.